With the recent rain and slightly cooler weather in Georgia, we are seeing mushrooms sprouting in many lawns.  Several types of mushrooms can be poisonous to dogs.  One single type of mushroom, called the “Death Cap” mushroom, is responsible for the majority of fatal mushroom poisoning cases in the world.  This mushroom is native to Europe but has now been found in several states in the United States.

We highly advise checking your property daily for mushrooms and removing them when found.  If your dog or cat ingests a mushroom please seek veterinary care immediately.

For further information about mushroom poisoning in pets please click on one of the links below:

Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs and Cats:  http://www.namyco.org/toxicology/pet_poisonings.html

Death Cap Mushroom Informational Sheet