Over the past several weeks, there has been an outbreak of Canine Flu in the Chicago area (click here for news story). More than 1,000 cases have been reported and at least 5 dogs have died from this virus.  If your pet goes to boarding, day care or grooming facilities we highly recommend having your dog vaccinated against Canine Flu!

 

Canine Flu Virus:

  • Canine Flu is an influenza virus.
  • Serious outbreaks occur and can be devastating. Recently over 1,000 dogs were infected in the Chicago area and at least 5 have died.
  • Canine flu is not contagious to humans and is not contagious to cats.

 

Canine Flu Symptoms:

  • High fever; Lethargy; Soft, moist cough; Nasal discharge.
  • If exposed to the virus, 80% get sick.  The other 20% show no signs but still shed and spread the virus.
  • Most cases last 2-3 weeks.
  • Severe form (10-20% of cases) will develop very high fever, pneumonia, and secondary bacterial infections.
  • Up to 8% can die from pneumonia and other complications of the infection

 

Canine Flu Vaccination:

  • Vaccine is available to help control the disease and reduce the severity of the symptoms.
  • The vaccine will reduce virus shedding and reduce the duration of coughing and illness from the infection.
  • It may not completely prevent the disease
  • A booster must be given in 3 weeks, then yearly

 

Should my dog get the Canine Flu Vaccine?

  • Dogs that have any exposure to other dogs.
  • Boarding
  • Grooming
  • Dog Parks
  • Doggie Day Care

 

Call us at the Animal Medical Clinics if you have any questions about Canine Influenza Virus.