Several different human foods can actually be dangerous to dogs and cats.   We want to spread the word about a little known threat…Xylitol!

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in sugar free gums and candies here in the United States.  It was first developed in Europe in the 1960s, and was mainly for use by diabetics and low carb dieters.  Today, many oral care products, such as toothpaste, as well as baked goods and desserts for dieters may contain Xylitol.

Dogs who consume Xylitol will have a rapid increase in insulin production, causing hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar.  Symptoms of Xylitol ingestion in dogs might include weakness, vomiting, and possibly seizures.   All of these could happen within 30-60 minutes of ingestion.  In addition, Xylitol cause a dog’s liver enzymes to rise and liver failure may develop.

If your pet is showing any of these signs and could have possibly ingested foods containing Xylitol, SEEK VETERINARY ASSISTANCE IMMEDIATELY!

In addition, be proactive at home and keep all Xylitol containing products out of your pet’s reach.  One of our veterinarians, Dr. Vince, has gone so far as to educate his five kids about this danger and they know never to bring home chewing gum containing Xylitol.

Click here to read about Ollie, a dog who got into chewing gum and lived to tell about it!